From: Brent Michalski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 1:43 PM
To: Jensen Kenneth B SrA AFPC/DPDMPQ
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: perl4 vs. perl5

Ken,

The fact that our military is still using something THAT antiquated and bug
riddled is embarassing.  I realize that for many things, cost is involved
and it makes it harder to push through.  Perl is free!  Although if the A.F.
wishes, I'd be happy to install it for them for a whole lotta money!
:o)

Depending on the systems you maintain, (since i see you are at the personel
center), a compromise of your system(s) due to an ANCIENT software language
would be extremely bad.

If AFMPC keeps using Perl 4, the terrorists have already won...

Brent
(11+ years, A.F.)  :o)

                      Jensen Kenneth B SrA

                      AFPC/DPDMPQ                  To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      <Kenneth.Jensen@RANDO        cc:       (bcc: Brent
Michalski/STL/MASTERCARD)
                      LPH.AF.MIL>                  Subject:  perl4 vs. perl5

                      02/04/2003 12:52 PM

  I am trying to justify to my sys admin office reasons to upgrade our
archaic systems from perl4 (4.0.1.8) to at the very least perl 5.004. Does
anyone have any info, or references of possible security issues with perl 4?
Or perhaps some other dangerous bugs that have been fixed since the perl4
release?. All the new functionality, bells & whistles haven't been enough to
persuade them to act on this. I've had a hard time finding much
documentation on perl4, besides manuals... which don't exactly point out
flaws.

TIA,
Ken