Karl Kaufman wrote:
> Cupie doll for Mr. Pinyan... thanks!
>
> Both 'length' and (/^\w+$/) indicate an unprintable character in $_.
> Now to find out what it is and where it's coming from.  (*argh*)

Karl.

Perl is quite happy indexing a hash with an unprintable character, so
it won't cause a hash reference failure. However what is undoubtedly
happening is that $_ doesn't contain what you think it does. If you let
us see more of the code you've written we would be able to help.

To see the hex value of characters in $_ do this:

    printf "0x%02X ", ord $_ foreach split //;

HTH,

Rob