Is there any function that places perl code from a file into a program
as if it was just part of the program file itself?

Something like:

file
**************
Hello World.
**************

program
$file = slurp('file');
print "$file\n":

I'm creating an address book as described on page 237 of "Beginning
Perl" and adding a few twists.  I would like to add functionality that
would allow a person to be prompted for and add/edit/delete entries in
the address book.  I thought it would be best to place those entries
into a separate file in the format of:

>From the book -
$addressbook{"Paddy Malone"} = {
        address => "23, Blue Jay Way",
        phone   => "404-6599"
};

And then bring them back into the program to print out.
Thanks,
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)