> a machine with 4 cpu and 3gb of memory is definitely hard wired to crunch
> number and boost i/o performance. not accounting for machine load, there
is
> very little reason your Perl script will run slower on a powerful machine.

I've found this to be not true most of the time.  The larger machines
usually come with slower CPUs for one, but they also come with SANs which
are optimized for heavy load, random access IO.  Since he was doing
sequential IO, the odds are that the larger computer ran slower.  This has
been verified by many different companies.  Small linux boxes with fast hard
drives will almost always outperform the larger, fiber SANs.  In fact,
google found this to be true and stocks its servers with traditional hard
drives instead of using a SAN storage device like what is probably attached
to your larger computer.

Tanton