Dave K wrote:

>> Greetings!
> Hello
>>
>> I'm trying to do some Perl for a non-profit organization.  The computer
>> administrator doesn't know very much about Perl or about the server.
>> If I were to ask him what Perl modules were available, he'd probably
>> just have to call somebody else and get back to me.  Is there any way
>> to use Perl to generate a list of such modules for me?
> I was hoping to get some feedback on the following. Let me know what you
> think.
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> use ExtUtils::Installed;
> my $instmod = ExtUtils::Installed->new();
> foreach my $module ($instmod->modules()) {
>  my $version = $instmod->version($module) || "???";
>  print "$module -- $version\n";
> }

I've scripted up a fancier way of doing this, for when you're interested in
seeing the groupings, and updating lots of modules in one go, as well as
seeing which packages they belong to.

It's somewhat similar to entering 'r' in the CPAN shell, but gives you the
full list of installed modules, versions (installed/CPAN) and the package
name, rather than just the list of outdated modules.

Full information, sample output, and a copy of the script is available here:

http://www.webdragon.net/mr/

Currently it's designed to be run on Linux/Unix workstations, but is not
currently portable to other OS's. I'd originally done it on the Macintosh
using MacPerl, but have since evolved it a tad. I've been wondering about
when I'd get some tuits to complete the cross-platform compatibility stuff.
:o)