From: "Scott R. Godin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> John W. Krahn wrote:
> > unless ( opendir( DIR, $_start ) ) {
> >     print STDERR "Cannot open $_start: $!";
> >     exit 1;
> >     }
>
> die "Cannot open directory $_start: $!"
>         unless opendir(DIR, $_start);

Just FYI these two are not equivalent:

        eval {
                die "Died\n";
        };
        print "NOT DEAD :-P\n";
        eval {
                print STDERR "Exited\n";
                exit(1);
        };
        print "ENDE\n";

The die() throws an exception that if uncaught can exit the script.
exit() simply exits the script.

In this case you probably want die(), not print STDERR+exit().

Though this would be Perl5. I have no idea what would or would not work in Perl4
mentioned earlier in this thread.

Jenda
===== [EMAIL PROTECTED] === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery