The light is beginning to shine a little brighter...

Joseph's cogent explanation of dereferencing is helpful.  Thanks.

Yesterday I went out and bought the 3rd edition to the Perl reference book by
ORA (mine was a very old 1st edition).  The 3rd edition has a whole lot more
on references than the 1st edition even dreamed about including.

(set me back $50, but in the long run should be well worth it)

The only thing left now is to be able to add new key, values to the %Lists
hash, as my program comes across them.

deb