Rob Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> John W. Krahn wrote:
>>
>> No need to create and then dereference an anonymous array, you
>> can get list context for the count like this:
>>
>>           my $count = () = /\b$soundex\b/g;
>
> Thanks John: I've never seen that before. By rights I would have
> thought it should assign either zero (as the number of elements
> in an empty list) or undef (as the last element of an empty list)
> to $count. Do you know where this is documented?

It's in "perlop" under "Assignment Operators":

    Similarly, a list assignment in list context produces the
    list of lvalues assigned to, and a list assignment in
    scalar context returns the number of elements produced by
    the expression on the right hand side of the assignment.

Kind of unintuitive at first, since none of the other types
of assignment work this way...

--
Steve