Hello,

I am learning Perl and having some fun with it.  In a script I am writing
I am wanting to read a line of a file and then extract a digit from the
beginning of the line.  A typical line looks something like this:

100. text text text

So I am using a file handle to open the file and read the lines on by one
with a while loop.

while (<TXT>){}

That part is pretty straight forward. Each line is then given to $_

But how do I get just the digit at the beginning of the line out of $_ ?
I thought about adding zero to $_ and then passing this to another
variable but this does not seem to work.

Can someone help me?

Thanks,

Matthew Stapleton