Barb Konings wrote:

> I have checked my books, checked permissions, and am
> still having trouble.
>
> Here is my code in a file named hello.pl. I have a
> link to this file off my web page to test it.
> (Maybe this part is now right?...)
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> # hello.pl

What kind of system are you working on?  If you are working in Windows, one
possibility is that you have FTP'd the script in binary mode, keeping the DOS
carriage-returns in your newlines.

Another possibility is that the server does not have a Perl installation at the
locaation specified.  Usually, an Internal Server Error indicateds an error has
occured before the content header is printed.

In your html directory, it looks like your browser or server is assuming GET as the
method.  This is the default for URLs typed into the address bar.  It seems that your
server assumes this also.  If your server configuaration includes a cgi-bin directory,
you should use this, and just focus on fixing errors received doing this.

One thing you might try is simplifying your script header:

#!perl -w

If the perl executable is in your systems executable path, this should be enough.  It
is definitely better than giving the server an incorrect path.

Joseph