Janek Schleicher wrote:
> Rob Dixon wrote at Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:51:46 +0000:
>

> > I'm afraid your regex is wrong! It does the following:
>
> Yep, it was a typo and untested.
>
> >     capture zero or more (as few as possible) of any character
> > !!  match one or more 'word' characters followed by an open parenthesis
> >     capture zero or more (as many as possible) of any character
> >     match a close parenthesis
>
> Replace the \w+ with a \s* like of Stefan suggested,
> an everything works fine :-)
>
> The main advantage of a regexp solution against a split solution is that
> it will also work with something like
> $data = "Janek Schleicher (The (not yet) perfect regexp man :-))"

But whether or not that's useful depends on the content and quality
of the  data. This won't match paired parentheses, and will fail to
work at all if the closing parenthesis is missing. Without any more
information the simplest solution possible is the best one, so I'll stick
with my 'split' call for now :-)

Cheers,

Rob