Can anyone please tell me what is wrong with this

#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type:text/html\n\n";

$OUTPUT = `rsh testaix "ldapsearch -h <hostname> -D "cn=root" -w
userpassword | cut -f 2 -d ="`;

chomp ($OUTPUT);

print "<META HTTP-EQUIV='refresh' CONTENT='0;
URL=https://testaix/mail/mail/src/redirect_pd.php?secret=$OUTPUT'>\n";

basically, $OUTPUT has a password that I get from LDAP, and I want to send
this variable to via a redirect to redirect_pd.php

When I run from command line it looks good

[EMAIL PROTECTED] cgi-bin]# ./test1.pl
Content-type:text/html

<META HTTP-EQUIV='refresh' CONTENT='0;
URL=https://testaix/mail/mail/src/redirect_pd.php?secret=hamster1'>

but through a web browser $OUTPUT is a null value.
What am I missing here ?

thanks