[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've learned alot from all this.  Thanks for the info!
> This is what I pulled from the learning  perl book.
> ($dev,$ino,$mode,$nlink,$uid,$gid,$rdev,$size,$atime,$mtime,$ctime,$blksize,$b
>
> locks) = stat(...)
>
> I tried this to access the mode but it puts out a number  16877 that I don't
> konw how to decipher.

If you are on a unix-like system the STAT(2) man page describes in some
detail what the different bits in $mode mean.  Perl's POSIX module
contains the constants and macros described in STAT(2).  For a complete
description of files and file I/O in Unix get _Advanced Programming in
the UNIX Environment_ by W. Richard Stevens, ISBN: 0-201-56317-7.

> my($mode) = (stat("$base/$dir_path"))[2];
>
> and is this code platform independant?

If the platform is POSIX compliant it should be.  YMMV

John
--
use Perl;
program