i wanted to know what variables like $1, $2 mean and
so i was looking at the documentation for Perl
predefined variables in this following link :

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlvar.html

$<digits>
            Contains the subpattern from the
corresponding set of capturing parentheses from the
last pattern match, not counting patterns matched in
nested blocks that have been exited already.
(Mnemonic:
like \digits.) These variables are all read-only and
dynamically scoped to the current BLOCK.

I couldn't make much sense out of it as a beginner.
Could somebody explain it to me with an example ?
Sandip.