Greetings

I am trying to resolve a problem I had with the perl 5.8 that comes
bundled with RedHat 9.0. It absolutely would not parse a regex the way
it should, and so I downloaded a new tarball from CPAN and reloaded
perl. RedHat puts perl in /usr/lib/perl5 rather than
/usr/local/lib/perl5 and I let the installation use the default. RedHat
also has a lot of dependancies on libperl.so and other components so
it's not a simple matter to just change a path.

Installing perl from the CPAN tarball left the system thinking that @INC
contains entries in the path /usr/local/lib/perl5. Reinstalling the rpm
for perl from RedHat did not change it back to /usr/lib/perl5. make
realclean in the build directory did not affect @INC. Nothing in the
environment variables looks like it, and I can't find anything in the
perl docs.

How do I get things _really_ clean? Where does @INC live? I'd like to
start over, keep the RedHat path, reload a new distribution over the top
of it if the perl still has regex problems, and get on with what I need
to do.

Thanks

Mike