Rob,
  Have you considered useing the object oriented
method?  It is a little bit more complicated, BUT it
will work.

use strict;
use warnings
use CGI;
my $CgiObject = new CGI;

my $STRING = "There are not any trains running on thi
day.<br>Use the date dropdowns above to select
adifferent day.";

my $htmlString =
  $CgiObject->p
  (