Ahhhhhh...that's it! I didn't realize that. Now it makes sense! Thanks for clearing
this up! Any other advice on getting through this book? Thanks again!

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                Sent:   Friday, June 20, 2003 1:56 PM
                To:     Anthony Beaman
                Cc:     Jenda Krynicky; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                Subject:        RE: Array Question (Learning Perl/Win32 Chapter Test
Question)

                On Jun 20, Anthony Beaman said:

                >But what's the "-1" for? Why not just "$b[$a]" instead? That's what
I'm
                >confused about.

                Arrays start at 0.  Thus, the first element of an array is $array[0].

                Line numbers (as far as human think of them) start at 1.  The first
line
                is considered line 1.  Therefore, humans are thinking +1 from what
                computers are thinking.  To correct this, you subtract 1 from what the
                human enters, and the computer does the right thing.

                --
                Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/