I'm still working on the well-name matching program that I've brought up
here before.  I've received invaluable help to solve the toughest questions
in its development, for which I'm very grateful.

Now I'm trying to automate some steps which were previously manual in the
process, to make it more end-user-friendly.  There has to be a way to do
this with Perl.

The script uses a "dictionary" of abbreviations to aid its matching.  The
abbreviations are implemented as a series of substitutions with the "s"
operator.  I have a Perl script which builds the substitution statements
from a tab-delimited list of abbreviations and their equivalent long forms.
I then manually insert these statements into the subroutine that uses them.

I kept the abbreviation translation hardcoded into the subroutine for
performance reasons (this thing compares 14,000 unknown well names against
680,000 match candidates).  Is there a way in Perl to read the abbreviation
dicitionary (the tab-delimited list), generate the code, insert it into the
right subroutine, and start executing the program, all in one script?
(Maybe you can tell me that the performance hit from using variables in the
substitution statements is negligible, and if so, I'd be happy to go that
route.)

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Scott E. Robinson