Hello,

I am very much a novice at perl and probably bitten off more than I can chew
here.
I have a file, which is a dump of a database - so it is a fixed file format.
The problem is that I am struggling to manipulate it correctly. I have been
trying for two days now to get a program to work. The idea is to remove the
duplicate records, ie a record begins with Name and ends with Values End.
The program that I have thus far, is  pathetic in the sense I have opened
three files, the file below, a data file for cleaned data, and a file for
capturing the usernames already processed. But I have got stuck on how to
compare and work through the file line for line and then only to capture the
lines that are not duplicated.
Please help - I am running out of time.

Here is the file format....

<File Begins>
#DB dumped
#DB version 8.0
#SW version 2.6(1.10)
Name          : system
Some stuff here...
many lines....
Of different format...
such as line below...
User Count    : 0
##--- User End
Lots of text here...
Until...
We get line below...
##--- Values End
Name          : ###profile0
Some stuff here...
many lines....
Of different format...
such as line below...
User Count    : 188
##--- User End
Lots of text here...
Until...
We get line below...
##--- Values End
Name          : vermaakm
Some stuff here...
many lines....
Of different format...
such as line below...
User Count    : 0
##--- User End
Lots of text here...
Until...
We get line below...
##--- Values End
Name          : TFMC\vanzylm
Some stuff here...
many lines....
Of different format...
such as line below...
CounterRst_01 : 2acac910        1c335c8
##--- User End
Lots of text here...
Until...
We get line below...
##--- Values End
#End Of Dump
<File Ends>

Denham Eva
Oracle DBA
Linux like TeePee... No Windows, No Gates and Apache inside!

by MailMarshal

For more information please visit www.marshalsoftware.com

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any
hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not
the intended recipient. TFMC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where
the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the
views of any such entity.

Thank You.