Howdy:

I am trying to re-install the Oracle driver
for perl and run a script to connect and
select from the database.

I think I installed everything okay, but
I am having the following problems:

When I run the test.pl in the DBD-Oracle-1.14
directory, I get:

[snip script]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] oracle_perl]$ ./ora_test1.pl
Oraperl emulation interface version 1.43
DBD::Oracle 1.14 using OCI8 by Tim Bunce
DBI 1.30 by Tim Bunce

.
.
.

DBI->connect(test) failed: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach) at ./ora_test1.pl line 26
Driver has not implemented the disconnect_all method. at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux/DBI.pm line 565
END failed--call queue aborted.

[/snip script]

The tests that run above this says they pass,
but the last line concerns me.  What, exactly
does line 565 have to do with anything?  The
only thing it says is:

[snip]

   $drh->disconnect_all();

[/snip]

Next, when I run my script, I get a connection failure -
same message as above.

[snip from script]

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# created 20 May 03

# to use new Orcale DBD and new DBI driver
# to connect to Oracle 9i database and
# have my way with it.

use strict;
use DBI;

my $host='myserver.local.net';
my $sid='testdb';
my $dbname='test';
my $username='scott';
my $password='tiger';
my $outfile='outtie.txt';
my $datestr=`date "+%d %B %Y"`;
chomp $datestr;
my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Oracle:$dbname", $username, $password, {
RaiseError
=> 1 })
        or die "Can not connect: $!";

if (!defined($dbh)) {exit;}
.
.
.

[/snip from script]

As far as I can tell, Oracle intances are running and I turned the
listener on and did a 'status' to see it running.

What did I do to break it?  Well, I *should* ask, where can
I go to start fixing this?  What is that DBI.pm '565' error about?

Thanks!

-X