David Parker wrote:
Hi. I have a perl script that calls various programs. I would like to be able to verify that a given program is being called from the right place - what I would use "whence" for in the korn shell.

I tried

$path = `whence $cmdname`;

but I don't get anything in $path. I'm undoubtedly missing something - I'm a beginner!

Thanks in advance for any clues....

There's no 'whence' command in ksh that I know of... I think you want 'which'

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/