Rob, you were very helpful in showing me how the split and join work, but
since I wasn't looking to change anything in $line except to replace the
character separating the email addrs, I used what you gave me, and rebuilt
the $line.  I think it's kinda ugly, though, and I'm wondering if there
is a better way.  Here's what I did:

$line = 'units =               [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL PROTECTED]';

           next unless $line =~ /^units/;
           (my $units, my $rest) = split (/=\s+/,$line);
           my @addrs   = split /[:;\s]+/, $rest;
           my $tmpline = join ',', @addrs;
           $line = $units  . " = " . $tmpline . "\n";

This accomplishes the task, but I'm using a lot of temporary variables.  Is
there a better way?

Thanks,

deb

At 00:29:16, on 07.10.03:
Cracks in my tinfoil beanie allowed Rob Dixon to seep these bits into my brain:,
> Deb wrote:
> > Rob,
> >
> >    Errr, I think I see this.  Seems more elegant than a strict
> > search/replace.  But, I don't understand this:
> >
> > next unless $line =~ s/^units\s+=\s+//;
> >
> > Substituting the left side with nothing?  I must be reading this
> > wrong.
> >
> > I do understand the split and join, though - I've used split
> > a lot, but not join.  I appreciate you giving an example.
>
> Sure. Look
>
>   my $line = 'units =               [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]';
>   $line =~ s/^units\s+=\s+//;
>
>   print "[$line]\n";
>
> OUTPUT
>
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> (the square brackets are there only to show that there's no leading
> or trailing whitespace).
>
> This line
>
>   next unless $line =~ s/^units\s+=\s+//;
>
> says
>
>   - Checking whether the line matches /^units\s+=\s+/
>   - If so, then remove the matched text and continue
>   - Otherwise go fetch the next line
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob
>

> --