The dollar signs tells the subroutine how many arguments you are passing to
the subroutine. Each $ is an argument. In the example you provided it will
accept 2 arguments passed to it.

"The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a
rightly timed pause."
                                       --Mark Twain

|         |           Rob Richardson   |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           o.com>           |
|         |           07/16/2003 10:52 |
|         |           therobs          |

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                         |
  |       cc:
                                          |
  |       Subject:  Dollar signs in subroutines?

Greetings!

In the "subroutines" thread, the original poster declared his
FoulParser subroutine with this line:

> > sub FoulParser($);

Then, Steve Grazzini suggested that subroutines might look like:

>   sub foo ($$) {
>       my ($first, $second) = @_;
>   }

What do the dollar signs mean?  I've never seen them used this way
before!

Thanks!

RobR

computer.