> Anyone know if it's possible for the return/exit value of a script, in the
> event of success, to be something other than 0?

The 'exit' command should work just like it does in the shell: 'exit 9;' for
example, *should* give you an exit status of 9 (although I couldn't get it
to work for me a minute ago...).

> I want to call, from a shell script, a perl script that determines a certain
> record ID from a database.  When the ID has been obtained, the script would
> exit, and the calling shell script would receive the returned value.

Why muck around with exit statuses? Just have the perl script print the
value you want, then in your shell script you can do something like:
myID=`perl_script_to_return_ids`
Or just do it all in Perl. 8-)

> The 'return' command doesn't allow this - I've thought of setting an env
> variable - not sure how to export it from perl so the environment sees it.
> Would like to get plan A to work first though..

Impossible. You can't run a subcommand and have it set a variable for the
calling shell. If Peter Parker gets bit by a radioactive spider and gains
spidey-powers, he could pass those powers to his kids--but never his
parents.

Paul