> Hi to [EMAIL PROTECTED] This is my first posting so please be gentle.
> I've followed the comparing two lists thread with interest. What I'd like
> to do is to compare 16 lists to see whether each of the entries in e.g.
> list 1 is present in one or more of the other 15. Each entry in the list
> consists of a position, a string and a score. I would like to compare just
> the position/strings for presence/absence in other lists.
> Any ideas?

Since you followed the comparing two lists thread, and since you just asked
for ideas:

Read in List 1, and add each line to a hash (list1hash).

Forevery other list, read in each line and if it exists in list1hash, add
it to a different hash (existshash).

When you're done, you have a hash of elements from list 1 that occur in
another list in existshash.  You can then iterate through the keys of
list1hash, and test each for existence in existshash.  If a key from
list1hash doesn't exist in existshash, then you can either print it
as absent or add it to yet another hash (absencehash).

    HTH (I always thought it was Hope This Helps, even at the end),
                                /\/\ark