On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, david wrote:

> Reggie Kogulan wrote:
>
> > Aaron,
> > What I am looking is to distribute the executable only. Not the code. like
> > a compiled C program will generates a.out or jar file in java. Thats all I
> > am looking for.
> >
> > Someone earlier said to use perlcc. Which I did now. I do not see an
> > executable file.
> >
> > example: $perlcc -o testfile test.pl
> >
> > Did not produce testfile at all.
> > Is there something else I need to do?
> >

> perlcc is experimental so don't be suprise if it doesn't work. you can
> generate the c file and compile it yourself (asking for perlcc to generate
> the c code might be easier then asking it to generate the binary for you).
> following these steps (assuming your perl script is named script.pl):
>
> [panda]$ perlcc -S script.pl
> [panda]$ perl -MConfig -e 'print $Config{cc}\n"'
> [panda]$ perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ccopts -e ldopts
> [panda]$ gcc -o script.out script.c <options from above>
> [panda]$ file script.out
> [panda]$ script.out
>
> steps:
>
> 1. ask perlcc to generate a script.c file from script.pl
> 2. ask Config to show us what compiler is Perl itself compiled into. You
> will need to use the same complier! in my box, it's a gcc
> 3. Ask ExtUtil to show us what options Perl itself is compiled into. this
> will print long option line so you will probably want to '> options.txt'
> 4. use gcc to compile script.c into a binary script.out. '<options from
> above>' means whatever you store into options.txt in step 3. without the
> options, gcc probably won't compile correctly.
> 5. simply shows you that you really end up with a binary for your os
> 6. runs it.
>
> if you are having problem compiling the c source, it's probably due to
> missing headers, use the following to find out where those headers such as
> EXTERN.h and perl.h are really locaed:
>
> [panda]$ perl -MConfig -e 'print "$Config{archlib}\n"'
>
> i have been using this method to generate some simply perl binaries for fun.
> if that doesn't work for you, forget you ever heard perlcc. :-)
>
> david

Thanks for the excellent guidelines.Using the above steps i can able to
generate an exe file for a  simple script.But at the same time i applied the
above steps to a complex script fo which i got the following error message.

######
/usr/bin/perlcc: multipleanalyseV5.0.pl did not compile, which can't happen:
Starting compile
 Walking tree
 Prescan
 Saving methods