I'm modifying an existing script that has been moved to a new domain and a new ISP. It opens a DBM file like this

dbmopen %fileinfo, "../data/fileinfo", 0644
   or die "cannot open fileinfo: $!\n";

This fails intermittently with

[Thu Jul 31 00:46:16 2003] [error] [client 53.259.56.55] cannot open fileinfo: No space left on device, referer: https://.....

No filesystem was full when I checked, while the error was happening, but the tech support folks at the ISP found that /var was 100% full earlier today, cleared some space, tested the script when it wasn't failing and pronounced the problem solved. My skepticism was justified, because now it's happening again.

Is it likely that DBM puts temporary files in /var/tmp? The DBM file contains only a little test data. Could the device in the error message be something other than a filesystem? A red herring?

Could this have anything to do with something that's under my control?

I'd appreciate any insights.

Katy