Kipp, James wrote:

Or am i missing the point?

Yeah, I think you did.

This is the real point...

$x = "foo";
$$x = 20;    # this sets $foo
print $foo;  # prints "20"
print $x;    # still prints "foo"!.

But like I said, this is usually a bad way of doing things. It is better to
use a hash when you have dynamic names.

Rob

Thanks. I will continue on without them :)

Hopefully you haven't been able to because you are using 'use strict,' this is one of the features of Perl that use strict prevents you from using (aka it shortens the proverbial rope), which in most cases will prevent it from being used to generate bugs...

There is an occasion when it can be useful, so "never" using it is the wrong approach as well, it was added for a reason, the difficult part is knowing when it should be used rather than how to use it.

http://danconia.org

-- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]