>> now that i've looked at it, it's really for getting to files that are
>> unlinked etc..... so i am not sure it will do you any good.
>
>Partly it might. The only problem with your script is that it cannot
>deal with data that is spanning more than 12 inodes (those were usually
>not in one block but fragmented over the harddisk). A line like this
>shows such a trickier example:
>
>    99526      0 100644 676132    1/1027 Sat Feb  2 09:11:58 2002
>
>I don't by hard know what to do with it, but it is laid out in the ext2
>undeletion how-to.

well, the undeletion howto is a little old (1999) but interesting to look
through...

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Ext2fs-Undeletion.html#toc9

>> to bring this more on topic, i would like to see what ways something like
>> this can be improved- it served useful to me in the past, but i'm sure it
>> can be made more useful:::
>>

>> #!/usr/bin/perl
>>
>> # added proper things when retyping it:
>> use warnings;
>> use diagnostics;
>> use strict;
>> #-------------------
>>
>> my $cfile = "/tmp/commands.file";
>> my $filesystem ="/dev/hda6";
>> my @path = ("/tmp/recover","","/recover","",".ebu");  #making a path to
>put
>> my $date="Oct";      #just files from October                #stuff later
>>
>> open (OUT,">$cfile");
>> print OUT "open $filesystem\n";# i wonder what this is for?
>
>Debug message?

no!  :)   debugfs -f /filepath  :)  open opens the filesystem without
mounting it... then dump does its thing- all inside debugfs!!

>command.file is the list of dump directives. It's supposedly a shell
>script that you can run later. So the above Perl script just generates
>another script. I am just not sure about
>
>> print OUT "open $filesystem\n";
>
>    open /dev/hda6
>
>is not a meaningful command in shell scripts AFAIK.

and the mystery is solved!!!

now i would like to look into using this to make a perl script to automate
file recovery.... well, someday at anyrate!

willy

:)