From: Jenda Krynicky [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 12:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: AOL and IP Address Changes

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> In a message dated 8/13/03 9:46:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> I see,  you have no control of over the redirect.  Use  the IP address
> first and if it returns no match check for cookies. If the cookie
> returns nothing then create an popup input box with javascript.

I believe you should not be using the IP address at all.
What do you do if two users using the same proxy (and therefore IP
address) come to your pages at about the same time? Overwrite each
others data? What if user A comes, fills in some data, you redirect
him to VeriSign, some other user with the same IP comes, fills in
another data, you redirect him to VeriSign as well and then they come
back in any random order? If you use the IP address at least one of
them has the wrong data.

The IP may be useable on an intranet if you know the topology, but
otherwise it's just an aproximate note in the logs.

I would personaly insist on using cookies ... the number of people
that are paranoid enough to turn them off completely is not that big
and they usualy know what to do if you tell them that you need
session cookies. And if the cookie is well formated, local to the
server and doesn't try to get stored on disk there is no reason to
block it.

The only other solution I can think of is to use frames and
JavaScript. That is you create a frameset (possibly completely
invisible), store the session id the static frame, redirect in the
other and when the user comes back to your pages you fetch the
session from the static frame. The problem is that the people who
turned of session cookies are the same ones who will turn of
JavaScript.

Jenda
P.S.: It really surprises me that VeriSign doesn't let you attach a
session id to their URL that would then be attached back to the
return URL.
===== [EMAIL PROTECTED] === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery