Note:  I know the thread is a bit old, but the usefulness of CSV for file transfer has
a pretty general applicability.  So here goes...

"McMahon, Christopher x66156" wrote:

> [...]

I'll second the concept of CSV--although I would hope the OP doesn't need to
hand-insert anything in his files.  CSV should be avaiable as an export or import
function for either spreadsheet or database data.  It of course cannot express the
metadata very well, but spreadsheet formulae could be sent as a separate CSV file,
although it seems a bit primitive.

Joseph

[OT:  Wow, only 237 unread posts remaining in my Beginners-Perl folder!  I'm catching
up]