Trina Espinoza wrote:
I am starting to write a lot of scripts that require a user to input a file that my script processes for data. Since there are may file formats rtf, txt, microsoft word, etc, my scripts have often choked when users submit the data in various file formats. I need something to ensure my scripts don't choke.

I already know how to do the open(source, "./file.txt") || die "stuff stuff stuff:!";

But what I really think I need is the ability to assess the validity of the files (rule out bad formats) or write something that makes my code robust enough to handle the most common formats. I'm sure one of these options are doable and I don't really know where to start.

If someone could give me suggestions or point me to a web page that gives instructions on how to do this that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-T

Incidentally your answer seems to lie in your initial -T

try this
perldoc -f -T

Basically perl can tell you wether your file is a text file or not and then you can do whatever with it

Ram