--- Saadat Saeed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for all your inputs now below you mentioned
>
> copy(qq(\\machine1\share\$file),qq(\\mahine2\share\$file))
>
> sorry for my ignorance but what is qq????

In perl, there are many things to do things "right".  That is the beauty of
perl, whether you use double backslashes or 'qq' or whatever.  That is the
wonderful thing about this list -- you learn new ideas how things are done in
the real world!

As for qhat 'qq' does, it behaves like double quotes.  As you pointed out, it
CAN make your code harder to read (!) sincemany people are not accustomed to
it.  For me, '"' is more customary (with C/C++ or shell), so therefore, more
readable.  TO each their own :)

> also if I want to be smart and copy it to the c: drive
> of some user - assuming I am running the script from a
> Domain Admin login
>
> eg. \\machine1\c$\file
>
> then the dollar sign won't work as expected right -
> given my limited understanding will a \$ work then!!!

Again, you need to escape the backslashes, either with qq{...} or '"'.  You
want to have the '$' interpolated, meaning, it should not be escaped.  You
should be fine with what you have -- although you don't need to qualify as
such in IMHO.

-JW