Paul Kraus said:

> Wow. I find that unusual in my 10 years of computer use/programming ...
> I have always referred to $ and heard it referred to as "string".
>
> Not that it matters but I find that definitely unusual :)

Do you have a background in BASIC?  I think that in the UK at least it is
(was ?) common to refer to the $ in A$, for example, as "string" since
that is what it was, and it obviously had nothing to do with dollars.

But as far as Perl is concerned it is "dollar", and I am not aware of any
exceptions.

Now, as to whether $! is dollar-bang, dollar-pling,
dollar-exclamation-mark or anything else is not so easy.

You might find this link interesting:

    http://www.eeng.brad.ac.uk/help/.faq/.unix/.pronun.html

But people, # is not a pound!  ;-)

--