I figured I'd take a stab at fleshing this out into what he wants...
Any comments on things I could do better?  I only added to what
Robert had coded...

Tony

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
my $dirname = "/my/stuff/";
my $file;
my $newfile;
my $line;

opendir (DIR, $dirname) or die "Can't opendir $dirname: $!";
while (defined($file = readdir(DIR))) {
        next if $file =~ /^\.\.?$/;
        open (OLDFILE, "< $file");
        $newfile = $file . "_nice";