From: R. Joseph Newton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 7:49 PM
To: Jenda Krynicky
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: .exe is mandatory :-(

Jenda Krynicky wrote:

> From: Shishir Saxena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > I just installed perl and I don't know what settings I fiddled with,
> > but now on Windows Command Prompt I am unable to execute perl scripts
> > with somthing like, "perl test.pl" rather I have to do "perl.exe
> > test.pl" ....same for any application ... everything has to be
> > suffixed with a .EXE ... Please advise ...
>
> Looks as if you corrupted or deleted the PATHEXT system variable.
>
> Try to execute
>
>         set
> PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.pl;.gpl;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
> and then
>         perl test.pl
>
> If it works you will have to change the value of this variable in "My
> Computer\Properties\Advanced\Environment Variables"
>
> Jenda

Way cool!

I didn't know that .pl was in there.  Sorta neat.  I copied testbush.pl to
my C:\Perl\bin directory, and then opened a new command prompt to C:\ and:

Greetings! C:\>testbush.pl
Hello world
Greetings! C:\>

Oh, and testbush.pl?<<EOF
use Acme::Bushisms;

"I don't bring God into my life to--to, you know, kind of be a political
person."
--George W Bush, Interview with Tom Brokaw aboard Air Force One, April 24,
2003

      EOF