On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:56:09AM -0400, Rich Fernandez wrote:
> Can some one tell me if there is an easy way generally speaking to migrate
> one version of perl and the modules installed under it to another version?
>
> Also, in this specific case I want to go from 5.00503 to 5.8.0 The wrinkle
> is that the box that needs to be upgraded does not have http/ftp access to
> the world and can only be accessed through several hops from inside our
> network. If this were a file system I needed to move, I could simply tar it
> up and move it over. Is there something similar for perl?
>
> Links/docs are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> richf

Hi Rich,

Well, you can certainly get a 5.8.0 tarball from CPAN, route it
through the necessary hops to the target machine, unroll and install.
If you have non-standard modules installed that you need, then you
will need to copy them from the 5.005 hierarchy to the 5.8.0 hierarchy
and, if any of them include XS (i.e., C code), then you will almost
certainly need to rebuild them.

Just make sure you take a backup snapshot of your existing Perl
directories and environment variables before you do this so that you
can roll back if anything goes wrong.

The following page is to the 5.8.0.

    http://search.cpan.org/~jhi/perl-5.8.0/

If you want the very latest version (5.8.1, a developer release), you
can get it here:

    http://search.cpan.org/author/JHI/perl-5.8.1-RC5/

HTH,

--Dks