Shortly, I think it might be good if loops (etc.) could return values.

Example 1: Retnext (like 'return next' borrowed from pl/sql)
You want to extract numbers from an array if they are > 4 and put an 'a'-letter after them.

  @values=(1,3,5,7);
  @bigger_than_4=                           # get an array from loop
     foreach $value(@values) {
        retnext $value."a" if $value > 4;   # return value from loop if > 4
     }
  ;

Example 2: Retlast (== perl 'last'-command with a value)

You need to escape a loop with a value. Familiar way:

  while(<FH>){
     if(/stop/){
        $array_terminated='true';
        last;
  if($array_terminated){
     # something
  }

This could be written as:

  if(
     while(<FH>){
        retlast if /stop/;                  # returns $_ by default
     }
  ){
     # something
  }

So, not very conserverite but think what all you could do with this.
And please, let me know what you think about this. Crap?

---

ville jungman, 2 laureston crescent, tower, blarney, cork, ireland
tel. + 353 - 21 - 451 6847, http://www.kolumbus.fi/vilmak
usko Herraan Jeesukseen, niin sinä pelastut. (apt. 16:31)