"Shlomi Fish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Hi all!
>
> I believe learn.perl.org is very lacking:
>
> 1. Its design is ugly.

agreed

> 2. No links to many important online resources such as tutorials, books,
> article collections, mailing lists, web forums, etc.

Well, there are alot there, but they dont seem to be organized in any
coherent way.

> 3. Concentration on commercial books.

When content is not added regularly this is what happens to a free site.

> 4. No source code for the site is available and [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> are not responsive.

This is very bad

> 5. Pretty much unmaintained for a long time.

Seems that way.

> Still, it has a pretty good Google popularity.
>
> I did my best to resolve the problems inherent in it by setting up
> http://perl-begin.berlios.de/. The site could still use some work, but
> it's still better than learn.perl.org. Nevertheless, I would want to see
> learn.perl.org becoming better.
>
> When I started the perl-begin effort the beginners-workers decided I will
> do a re-design of the learn.perl.org. After I was more or less finished, I
> did not receive any reply when I tried to contact them. So I had no choice
> but to set up my own site.

I'm willing to pester the site owners to let you do the site. But it will
probably take more than just you and I. The lack of responses to your OP
might indicate the amount of help the rest of the group is willing to
contribute.

I want to see full blown articles to FAQs on this list. For instance, there
seems to be a growing trend where every other question is how to put
subroutines in thier own file so they can be reused. A thorough but simple
article to refer our beginners to will get them reusing code in a consistent
manner. Then, when they have questions about the articles we refer them to,
at least we'll know where they are coming from.

Im glad our beginners are starting to think about code reuse, but I'm
disappointed that they have not learned how to review previous discussions
on their subject before posting. If they were doing this, the questions
would get more complicated and progressive, instead of the same question
over and over.

I'm willing to donate 4 or 5 hrs a month for articles. Ive been thinking
about it lately anyway. Since you have a beautiful site put together, they
would go well together. Perhaps your site can become the perl.beginners.*
home page?

Casey, any thoughts?

Todd W.