Hi folks

I've got a query about variable initialisation. I want to initialise a list of
variables to an empty string, but I'm having troubles.

What's the best wat to do this?

 If I use the following I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] gary]$ cat t
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $fred=$ginger='';

print "fred=$fred\n";
print "ginger=$ginger\n";
[EMAIL PROTECTED] gary]$ ./t
Global symbol "$ginger" requires explicit package name at ./t line 5.
Global symbol "$ginger" requires explicit package name at ./t line 8.
Execution of ./t aborted due to compilation errors.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] gary]$

but if I use:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] gary]$ cat t
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my ($fred,$ginger)='';

print "fred=$fred\n";
print "ginger=$ginger\n";
[EMAIL PROTECTED] gary]$ ./t
fred=
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./t line 8.
ginger=
[EMAIL PROTECTED] gary]$
--
Gary Stainburn