Hello,

In the midst of learning perl, I was messing around with stuff, and I
found the following behavior to be a bit confusing.  For some reason,
I seem to be unable to cat a \u or \l for that matter with another
string using the . operator.  Other backslash-escaped characters
(tabs, newlines etc.) work fine.  So for example:

$foo = "\u" . "bar";
print $foo;  #or even print "$foo";

Prints "bar" and not "Bar".  on the other hand:

$foo = "bar";
print "\u$foo";

works as expected.  i'm sure there's a good reason for this; could
someone explain it to me?

/brian