On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 06:25:45PM -0400, Dan Anderson wrote:

> > But what's the speed concerns here?  This is negligable.
>
> Well until applied across the entire program.  The program I am working
> with is significantly longer then the example.

Just a few random quotes, attached to this message for no particular
reason.  I really must learn how to start a new thread ;-)

Rules of Optimization: Rule 1: Don't do it. Rule 2 (for experts only):
Don't do it yet. - M. A. Jackson

"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time:
premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth

"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without
necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including
blind stupidity." - W. A. Wulf

[ Yes, Knuth was quoting Hoare. ]

(However, it would seem that in general the best way to optimise Perl
code is to minimise the number of ops.)

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net