--On Saturday, October 18, 2003 18:14 +0200 Desmond Coughlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OK, first question: is all the above possible ?  I think that I
know the answer, and that it's yes.

You guessed right there, I believe. ;-)

In which case, my second question is: where can I learn how to do
it ?  I have 'Introduction to Perl' translated, and the only
mention of databases is in telling me to use::DBI.  Fine, but ...
_how_ do I use DBI ?

Well, you could install the modules and read the manuals, FAQs, and other docs that come with them (or available on CPAN's web site)... (As well as the info on http://dbi.perl.org/ and other websites.) But that's not actually what I'd recommend. (Though there is plenty of information that way.)

If you don't mind spending a little money, I would highly recommend 'Programming the Perl DBI', also an O'Reilly book. You still need to know SQL and your database, but it covers the rest of the DBI end.

After that, I need to swot up on CGI, which I've already touched
upon in writing a 'feedback' form for my webpage.

I can't help as much here... Again, the docs online and with the CGI modules is enough to get you going if you want to go that route, or O'Reilly has a book dedicated to it. There is also quite a bit of Perl subculture dedicated to this, so there are a *lot* of other web resources to work with. (Including a 'beginners-cgi' email list like this one just for CGI.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.