Steve Massey wrote:

> Hi
>
> I though I had sussed this s/ stuff but
>
> #! /usr/bin/perl -w
>
> $test =  "BRIGHTON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (Firm),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,";
>
> print "$test\n";
> $test =~ s/,*/,/;
> $test =~ s/,*$/,/g;
>
> print "$test\n";
>
> does not work, I want to substitute all multiple commas into a single one.
>
> any help appreciated
>
> Steve

One of these should work:

Greetings! E:\d_drive\perlStuff>perl -w
$test =  "BRIGHTON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (Firm),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,";

print "$test\n";
$test =~ s/,+/,/g;
print "$test\n";
^Z
BRIGHTON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (Firm),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
BRIGHTON, (Firm),

Greetings! E:\d_drive\perlStuff>perl -w
$test =  "BRIGHTON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (Firm),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,";

print "$test\n";
$test =~ s/,*/,/g;
$test =~ s/,*/BRIGHTON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (Firm),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Terminating on signal SIGINT(2)

Greetings! E:\d_drive\perlStuff>perl -w

print "$test\n";
$test =~ s/,+/,/g;