Kevin, et al --

...and then Kevin Pfeiffer said...
%
% Hi all,

Hi!

%
% I just took another look at an exercise I wrote a couple months ago and
% fleshed it out a bit. It is a commandline "trashcan" program which I
% actually use. Instead of typing 'rm' I almost always use 'rmm' now.

I like the idea of a safe-delete script rather than a compiled
executable, but the trashcan approach almost always works badly because
of collisions.

If you haven't yet, check out the MIT Athena delete() suite.  It
functions as a drop-in replacement for rm and rmdir and yet you can
undelete to your heart's content.  It also keeps track of how long ago
something was deleted so that you can expunge things deleted more than
some certain number of days ago.

I'd recommend the same approach in a scripting language.  If I had that,
I'd switch in a New York minute because I'm tired of going through the
exercise of compiling their com_err error library to get delete compiled
on any new machine where I land :-)

HTH & Thanks for the script & HAND

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"