Sudarshan,

 Thanks for the info. I understand now and makes sense.

Phillip

-----Original Message-----
From: Sudarshan Raghavan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 1:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hash Issue or Understanding

>The output works but it not in the order I expected:
>
>I expected my output to be:
>
>hostname, IP addrress, OS, Version, Release, Server Type, Model, Memory
>Size, Total CPU's.
>

>But what I got was:
>

>Model, Server Type, cpu, Release, hostname, OS, Memory Size, Version
>

>It seems to me the hash started almost at the bottom of the list instead of
>
>With the hostname and work it way down. Is there any way to force the
>
>Order other than maybe specifying the array itself?.

As you have already figured out, there are no guarantees about order in
a hash. The module Tie::IxHash will interest you.
perldoc -q 'How can I make my hash remember the order I put elements
into it'

I think Tie::IxHash comes with the standard distribution from 5.8.0
onwards (not sure though). If not, you can get it from
http://search.cpan.org