> "Wiggins D Anconia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in bericht
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Hi,
> > I have found in general the
> > module that is chosen is based more on the format of the config file,
>

> YAML is a rising star as formats go, I believe.
>

> > > where is hostname? is
>
> it's a system command (back ticks).

You missed the point, *I* know what 'hostname' is, but you restrict
yourself to platforms and environments that have it defined and open
yourself to security issues by attempting to use it in the manner you
stated.

On my RH 9.0 box hostname is in, /bin, on solaris 8 it is in /usr/bin,
other systems could put it in any of /usr/local/bin, /opt/bin,
/usr/sbin, /sbin, /my/really/long/weird/location/bin, etc., who knows if
windows even has 'hostname' and where it would be.... ok so you depend
on it being in the path, is the path setup correctly? what happens when
you put it in cron? how about under a chroot?  What happens when someone
throws, ~/bin in their path and wants to have a 'hostname' command that
logs into their NAT box and updates an IP address, ok they chose a dumb
name, but your script is now broke......

http://danconia.org