> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> use DBI;
> $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:test", "testuser", "testpassword") or die
> "failed to connect";
> print $dbh;

> DBI connect('test','testuser',...) failed: Access denied for user:
> '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES) at ./dbtest line 4
> failed to connect at ./dbtest line 4.

> I tried every user/pass combination I could think of, what's it supposed to
> be?

You must be sure that the mysql daemon is running
try 'mysql -u test -ping'

It isn't useful to try for user and pwd, mysql has its user table
different from that of the system

If you have a standard installation of mysql and haven't
changed the user table you should connect to 'test' database
whit user 'test' and no password

try '$dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:test", "test")...'
if ping return 'mysqld is alive'

> Sorry I'm a little slow on this.  Thank you so much for your help so far...
You must know at least a little of mysql

Remo
Remo Sanges - Ph.D. Student
BioGeM - IGB
Gene Expression & Sequencing Core Lab