Once again, please say who you are?

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have some large files that all have data for filling one table.   I'm
> concerned about memory resources.
>
> 1.  I want to read from each of these files one line at a time at the same
> time without assigning the file to an array.
> I haven't done this one yet,  Does anyone have any example code?  I want to
> pass the lines in an array to a subroutine which does # 2.

A non-starter! If you don't read the file into an array than you can't pass
that array to your subroutine!

> 2.  Then combine the lines, plugging in elements according to index if that
> index hasn't been filled.  This one is pretty easy to figure out.

I can start to guess what you mean, but I could go a long way down the
wrong path if I tried.

Tie::File may help, but please explain more about what your files contain
and how you want to correlate them? It would also help if you could say
something about the size of your files compared with the amount of virtual
memory that you have.

Rob