On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:23:49 -0700, McMahon, Chris wrote:
> But an array doesn't suit my needs.  What I really need is a
> hash where each item in the directory is a value associated with a key that
> is a number 1-n such that I could issue a print statement that would show
> something like (to oversimplify!):

If I understand you correctly, you just want to map each directory/file
with an incremental number.  An array already have an internal number; the
index of the actual element in the array.  So:

  my @files   = </dir/*>;
  my $key     = <STDIN>;
  my $element = $files[$key - 1] || "No directory/file at position $key";
  print $element . "\n";

--
Tore Aursand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>